Hearing Aid Maintenance
Your hearing aid looks after you, ensuring you can hear the world around you, so it’s important you treat your device with care, and clean and maintain it regularly.
Visit your nearest Bay Audio store to find out more about our Aftercare Services or to get find out more about maintaining and cleaning your hearing device.
Hearing aid maintenance is crucial to keep your hearing aid working at an optimum level and to keep you connected to the world around you.
Not only does regular cleaning of your hearing device ensure that the sound you receive is crystal clear, but it can also drastically extend the life of your device, saving you money and time in the long run. Maintaining your hearing device involves regular cleaning, keeping it clear of debris and ensuring it is handled with care.
How to clean your hearing aids
In order to keep your hearing device in tip-top shape, it is important to have the right tools. As wax, oil and dust can accumulate in and around your device, sounds can be muffled and eventually the receiver can become clogged, with the build-up of debris causing severe damage. While cleaning, it is important that your hands are clean and dry, as the microphone is incredibly delicate and can be blocked very easily.
Your maintenance toolkit should include:
- A wax pick and brush
- Wax guards
- Hearing aid cleaning wire or bulb blower
- A clean, dry cloth
Prevention is better than a cure, so in order to avoid your hearing device from becoming dirty or wet and breaking, follow these simple steps.
- Keeping your hands and fingers clean when inserting and removing your hearing aid.
- Remove the battery from your device nightly and leave the battery compartment open to dry out any excess moisture which could lead to failure in the electronic components of your receiver.
- Ensure repairs are made to your device quickly. If the wax is trapped in an area you can’t reach yourself to clean it’s important for an expert, such as one of our audiologist, to remove it before it can permanently damage the device.
- Your device can easily be damaged by excess moisture, so it should always be removed during your day to day hygiene routine including when you shower, when you are in excessively humid environments, having your hair washed and dried at the hairdresser, using makeup or hair sprays and if you are swimming.
- Clean your device daily as you remove it.
- Use wax guards. These are small plastic screens that sit in the sound outlet of your hearing aid.
1. Keep your hearing aid dry and away from moisture
2. Keep your device free of earwax
3. Wear your hearing aid after applying make-up or hairspray
4. Never use alcohol or any other aggressive cleaning agent
5. Never use scissors or needles to clean your hearing aid
1. Schedule a routine cleaning with a professional
2. Check and change your wax filter
3. Check and replace your cleaning tools if required
Your Hearing Technology Experts
If you are unsure how to clean your hearing aids, our team can show you. Join us for a complimentary coffee while we do the cleaning for you! No appointment required, just turn up to your nearest Bay Audio store.